South Fork of the Walla Walla River. The main purpose of this work party consists of yearly trail maintenance such as brushing, rock raking, erosion control, and water drainage work.
This is a popular multi-use trail close to Walla Walla. Instruction in basic trail skills will be provided. The day’s effort may involve 2-3 miles of hiking with trail maintenance along the way.
What to Expect
We'll have fun, work hard and make a difference! No experience is necessary.
Moderate, mostly flat trail that follows the river with various steep pitches
- 7:45 AM: Be ready to sign in and meet the crew at the Umatilla National Forest Office.
- 8:00 AM: Depart for trailhead by carpool.
- 9:30 AM: Gather for a safety briefing, then hike to the project site.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch on the trail
- 2:30 PM: Gather at the trailhead and return to Walla Walla.
- 4:00 PM: Arrive Umatilla National Forest Office. Sign out.
For safety reasons, arriving late or leaving early is not allowed.
Get ready for a great day outside!
Blues Crew Leads Greg Brown
USFS Lead Kiyoshi Fujishin
PLEASE NOTE** This work will be done in the North Fork Umatilla Wilderness, wilderness restrictions apply.
What it Takes to Do This Work Party
- No experience is necessary—just bring a great attitude for working with a team! USFS provides the training and tools you need
- Expect to be physically active at your own pace for up to 6 hours on uneven terrain
- Recommended for ages 10 and older; under 16 must be accompanied by an adult and a parental consent form must be signed for anyone under 18
What to Wear
- Boots - no sneakers or sandals
- Long pants
- Leather gloves
- Long-sleeved shirt
- Eye protection recommended (glasses, sunglasses or safety glasses)
A hard hat will be provided by BMLT. For safety reasons, shorts and sneakers are not allowed.
What to Bring
Hand clippers for brushwork
Lunch, snacks, and water
Extra warm clothes as needed
Firearms and weapons are not allowed.
USFS Supplied Gear
- Hard hat
- Safety gear
- First aid kit
Contact us at email@example.com or 509-525-3136